Not a lot of Riv-ish type shops in NYC, unfortunately. Lots of shops,
most of them catering to either the newly emerging class of commuter
cyclists or else the spandex crowd.

HUB Bikes on Charles Street in the West Village stocks lots of used
bikes and has an interesting selection of Dutch cargo-type bikes. It's
more of a garage that opens on to the sidewalk though than a true shop
so a little hard to browse. People describe BikeWorks on Ridge Street
in the Lower East Side as a retro kind of place too, though I've never
found it particularly browsable or overly-friendly. Recycle-A-Bicycle
sells lots of used bikes and is a non-profit that puts the proceeds
towards urban youth programs. I suspect their stock runs more towards
workable beaters than vintage gems though. There may be others shops
of interest in Brooklyn but I have no experience there.

The economics of NYC real estate, especially Manhattan, and of bike
shops in general being what it is, most shops either have to sell a
lot of high end racer stuff or turn a very high volume of gear and
rentals to cover their overhead. Doesn't leave a lot of room for the
quirky niche shops.

Peter
NYC