I had tight IT bands that made my patelas feel strange when pushing
bigger gears (because the kneecaps were being pulled off-center),
which made me worry about my knees. Not exactly your symptoms, but
probably the same underlying problem, and 3 or 4 trips to the sports
medicine clinic at Cornell to have my IT bands stretched solved this
problem completely with no recurrence in about 5 years. They also gave
me a roller to stretch on and some other exercises, but the exercises
were painful enough that I preferred to have someone else stretch my
IT bands for me, and it worked great. (Btw, I am a not averse to
stretching generally, being a yoga teacher, but those ITB stretches
were unpleasant.)

Hope this helps,

Gernot