My bike has a Shimano XT front derailer from 1990. It has given good
service, but I'd like to change it out. Rivendell and Harris Cyclery
sell the IRD for this setup. I have read raves about the Campy Racing
T, but it seems to be gone. I am not sure which Shimano is the
appropriate replacement.

I read somewhere that the IRD is a copy of an Ultegra, is that the
case?

I shift with Shimano bar-ends, and my bike has 1.25" tubes. Since I
only change front ders every 20 years, I'd like to get a great one and
be done with it. Any recommendations appreciated!

BC