This just in: the new "decaleur" performed well today on the 8-mile
inbound leg to church (late, grievously late, alas, but our new priest
is so *&*!^ longwinded! so I cut myself a bit of slack. Anyway ...)
carrying a 3 1/2 lb chain and lock combo and a 12 oz key combo in the
Lafamu bag, attached at the headset top race with a bolt thru the VO
bell mount and, at the bottom, strapped tightly to the vertical rear
rack frame. (I left the lock at church so the bag had only 12 oz of
keys in it for the return.) So the device works very well holding a
total of 5 1/2 lb steady on the little rack. I noticed hardly any
difference in handling.

Later I went to my local True Value and bought a much delayed jigsaw
($25; thank you still-willing cheap Chinese labor), some metal blades
and a 3" X 6" sheet of 2 mm thick aluminum out of which I plan to cut
a "T" to replace the single strut in the photo; the bottom of the T
will be riveted to the cross-piece of the bag and I will bolt the top
to the VO bell mount as before. This ought to prevent flop occuring
when the single 4 mm allen bolt holding the strut on ineluctably
loosens.

Photos to come. But the Strut did prove the basic soundness of the
design. And, note: a sturdy bag connection does not require strapping
the bottom of the bag to the rack: just bolt to the bell mount and
slide the strap over the vertical part of the rack.

(In other news: was pleased to see that, after riding most of 8 miles
home against a stiffish headwind in the hooks of the lowish bars, I
felt perfectly comfortable.)