for an overnighter, or just to ride around for a few hours?  I've only
done the former, never the latter.  There's a rolling paved road that
circumnavigates the island (~7 miles), called Perimeter Road.  I've
enjoyed that road to myself on overnighters.  I don't know how kooky
it might be in the middle of the day with all the bike-renter-tourists
on it as well.  There's also a fire road that circumnavigates the
island at a higher elevation so it's much shorter.  It's a dirt road,
so just about any bike can do fine.  The old buildings on the
southwest side of the island are really interesting.  Bring a picnic,
if you aren't camping.  It was windy on one side of the island, so
bring layers.  Make sure you have your ferry stuff set up already,
like maybe prebuy your tickets.  Otherwise just take your time and
have fun.