Hmmm, trying to answer some of these questions.  I'm not good at
describing bikes and how they ride - - whatever one I'm riding is the
one I love - - but I'll try:

For starters, I tell the builder what I want to feel on a bike, and
let him make all the decisions about size, dimensions, angles; tube
materials.  They are professionals, and that way I get their
impression of perfection on a ride.  Thus, each bike is different.  I
asked Sacha to make a comfy fat tire flier for long long days in the
saddle, and this is what he came up with.  I suggested a light blue,
classic color - - like an old 1973 Raleigh Pro I lusted after - - and
he did a great job on the color.

1. Compared to Roadeo, the Vanilla seems to take the steep, twisty
downhills just a shade better.  I asked Sacha to bias the bike towards
comfort. I didn't specify anything about the geometry - - my
philosophy is that the builder is a professional, knows more than I
do, so just let them do their job. I did not tell him what trail to
use, what angles, toe clip overlap or any other detail.  Anyway, I
can't say enough good things about the Roadeo, but the Vanilla seems
exceptionally smooth in challenging descents on crappy pavement.

2. Also, the set-up is a bit racier than the Roadeo.  The handlebars
are about 2 cm lower than the seat on the Vanilla, as opposed to level
on the Roadeo.  That's the way Sacha wanted to build it, we talked
about it a lot, and I'm enjoying trying out this (very slightly) more
agressive posture.  I'll report back after Wednesday's ride - planned
to be 80 mi + 8k in ascent.  I'll have a LOT to say after that one, I
expect.

3.  Yep, no fenders.  I have several other bikes with eyelets, some
with fenders.  We got close to 40" of rain this winter, I'm the
oddball on the list that doesn't mind riding sans fenders. Sacha and I
talked about that, too - - I asked him what he wanted to build, and he
wanted to build the dropouts without eyelets.  They are really, really
stunning, so I'm fine with his choices.

4. Yes, I love TA Zephyr cranks; and yes, I plead guilty to hoarding.
Gosh... such an ugly word, "hoarding." I knew I would have this bike
built one day, so when Peter White still had a couple left, I bought
one.  I will do some sort of penance.  This year's Death Ride should
be an appropriate hairshirt for me.

5. Tires: I'm a clyde, and ride on a lot of abandoned back roads, with
terrible pavement.  Ergo, I'm deeply in love with 32mm road tires -
Kojaks and Jack Browns.  These JB's feel really, really comfy and nice
on the descents.  I'm running them at 75 front, 82 rear, and they seem
just fine.

6. Components: that stem is a custom threadless, by Sacha.  The M-
Racers are incredible - - on a scale of 1-10, they are about an 18.
White Hubs; very pleasing to the eye.

And, great Vanilla schwaggage, I couldn't resist when I was in the
showroom.   Here are pics of two tasty steel bits - - at least one of
which I doubt will be made again - - handy in a scap, you know:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/sets/72157626606134421/

cheers,

Reynolds Lugs the 531st