Brilliant!  I have read the over-cleaner method, but it involves heating
them so didn't sound so great.
This sounds perfect!  Might just have to do it on some bars tomorrow!

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM, williwoods <willh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Very easy.......Draino liquid gel. takes about 30 minutes to soak and
> then hose it off. You dont want to let it soak more than an hour or 2
> though. I did this to a black ano chainring and it looked factory
> matte silver when I was done. I had to gently scrub it a little and
> did it in 3 passes, soak, rinse/scrub, rinse, dry repeat. If you do it
> right they will look factory finished.
>
> You wont be able to do this with the bars but for smaller parts I used
> a ziplock freezer bag to soak the chainring.
>
> good luck
>
> On May 17, 5:24 pm, reynoldslugs <be...@perrylaw.net> wrote:
> > LL at Archival Clothing (owner of a beautiful blue Vanilla) and I were
> > discussing a problem - - how to remove black anodizing from otherwise
> > nice handlebars?
> >
> > I love Salsa Bell-Lap bars, but am not crazy about the black finish.
> > If there is a way to remove the black and return them to a nice silver/
> > aluminum finish, that would be the holy grail of handlebars.
> >
> > Anyone have any secret methods for accomplishing this?
> >
> > thanks.
> > RL

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS