I have tall ceilings in my garage, and had both a bike storage and a
camping equipment storage problem to solve.  I built this 4' x 8'
shelf hanging from the rafters, anchored from the wall, 7'6" high.
All the camping gear goes on top, and nine bike hooks hang below.  So
far I'm very pleased with the solution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/5670500098/in/set-72157626609195222/

It took about 2-1/2 hours to build.