At 66 with four bikes plus the tandem I don't have many bike purchases
left in me, but hub shift suggests IGH to me, which brings up my ideal
winter bike:

Rolhoff rear hub; gates carbon belt; Schmidt front hub; Ti frame; room
for 42 mm studded tires and full fenders.  I don't see this bike
coming from a desert in California!

Dang i wish this site didn't take so long to load... what gives?  I
can load the cached version or the /discussion version... but the
basic .groups/rbw-owners-bunch takes almost 2 minutes on a decent
cable connection with Safari & lots of spare memory.

Gotta go out for a ride on my new White pedals..

michael