I am not Jim, but hobby shops and the fingernail polish section of
drugstores, etc. have many colors, some of which may match. Don't try to
touch up all in one go. Layers, light sanding. Be happy with beausage. We
live in Rivendell, remember. Use a pencil eraser to apply pressure to a
little wad of steel wool and keep the abrasion to a tiny area. Twirl the
abrasive. After touch up, you can even get and apply clear fingernail
polish. Fear not. But leave no rust under paint.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM, R Gonet <richard.go...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Jim, can you elaborate on what you mean by "enamel"?  Thanks.
>
> On Jul 1, 11:23 am, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > on 7/1/11 7:15 AM, Jeffrey at unclecowb...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I have several large abrasions through the paint that have rusted. what
> do
> > you do to treat them? If I just paint/fingernail polish them will that
> stop
> > the rust underneath, or do I need to remove the rust first? If so, how?
> >
> > Clean the rust with fine steel wool, then enamel.
> >
> > --
> > Jim Edgar
> > cyclofi...@earthlink.net
> >
> > Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries -http://www.cyclofiend.com
> > Current Classics - Cross Bikes
> > Singlespeed - Working Bikes
> >
> > Gallery updates now appear here -http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Then I sat up, wiped the water out of my eyes, and looked at my bike,
> and
> > just like that I knew it was dead"
> >
> > -- Robert McCammon, "Boy's Life"

Bill Gibson