650C and 650B are certainly close enough in diameter that you could use the
same tube; but most 650C tires are narrow racing tires, so that's probably
all the bike shop had. You probably want something like this:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/inner-tube-650b/10-066

But someone else also mentioned that you can use a 26" tube and that would
be pretty close too.