Three surprising things Rivendell led me to (besides my Saluki and my
wife's Betty Foy):
   1. It sounds silly to say too much about such a small thing, but as
I listened to it jingle on the way home this evening, it struck me
that the dollar bell Rivendell sells is as close to perfect as any one
dollar thing will ever be. The sound is comforting (not at all like
the Poe poem Grant attached to it). Not too much; just enough. People
smile when I pass by; I think it's me, and then remember it's the
bell. It's the best excuse for sleigh bells we'll ever have on the
Gulf Coast. Sorry. I said more than I should have. It just seems
strange to be so pleased by something that appears so insignificant.
    2. Some of us are made for SelleAnatomica saddles. Best I can
figure, some of us don't get a proper lift from the too-thin layer of
fat covering our sit bones, so the lovely B17 remains a pain, unless
we ride it absolutely upright. The design of the SelleAnatomica
addresses that anatomical issue, maybe like no other saddle.
Unfortunately, SelleAnatomica saddles had a reputation for poor
materials, particularly the metal frame. Fortunately, Tom Milton's
siblings have taken over the company, and have made a number of
excellent changes to the materials and to the website. They've bent
over backwards to help me replace some of my old saddles. I'm very
pleased with the new chromoly rails, and have mounted it anywhere on
my seatpost with confidence. It may be time to give them a second
look.
    3. I've now gone more than 7,000 miles on my standard Schwalbe
Marathons without a flat. As Grant warns, the dang things don't seem
to want to wear out, though I'll probably replace them soon just
because I don't want to risk discovering their limits. Maybe there are
other important things to say about a tire, but this is a key
attribute for a tire that has to get me to work 6 days a week. I only
regret that Schwalbe doesn't have more offerings (Dureme, for example)
in 650b.