Another ride scotched. I took the Riv with new Kojaks out just now
thinking I'd get a nice, mid-workday ride in and try out the new tires
(they felt very good for that part of the 4 miles I've managed to put
on them that has not been slowed by the fender issue). I thought I'd
finally resolved the fender issue, after having fixed the rack issue,
and deciding to leave the pannier issue for later. Nope. 1 mile into
the ride I felt the drag brake effect of the rear fender's right
forward side rubbing the tire. So, back home where in a liberating fit
of pique I removed the fenders entirely. OK, so now to ride? Nope. God
slapped me down again: thunderstorm brewing. (It is our "monsoon"
season during which we pray for a good part of our annual nine inches;
we're down by some 70% so far this year, I think.)

Anyway, no more fenders for Riv #2, for now; perhaps later some wider
ones, since there is ample room between legs and stays for fenders
wider than these Berthoud 45s or 50s (I don't get it: the tires don't
quite make 31 mm with my digital calipers). I've got the Herse and
Fargo with fenders, and my Rivs will be fair weather bikes.

(21.5 lb for the Riv fixie with no fenders but custom rear and VO
front racks, cages, copper bell, SON 20R, Edeluxe, rear blinkie and
Kojaks which latter are exactly twice the weight of the Turbos, at 400
g each.)

And the beloved Flite, probably close to 20 years old and the veteran
of several bikes has finally had its cover tear; it must have 20K
miles on it.

Tomorrow, perhaps ....

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.
(Rilke, Buddha in Glory)