On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:16:04 PM UTC-7, Aaron Thomas wrote:

> I'd like to see Rivendell do a breakaway style bike in the spirit of the
> Romulus. It seems there would be an opening in the market for a
> Romulus-style breakaway. Hitherto, the only options are a Dahon touring
> bike, Ritchey's Road (which accepts only up to 28mm tires), and Ritchey's
> cx, which has decent clearances and nice geometry specs, but has an dreaded
> (and ugly) crabon fork.
>
> How about a standard reach, caliper-braked, sporty road model à la the
> Romulus? Sounds good to me. Who's in?

Actually, there are several custom builders who make frames with the
breakaway system. I have a Paul Taylor breakaway cross bike and it has a
steel fork. It is fillet-brazed and works well.
My bike has canti bosses and I run a Suntour xc pro canti brake in the rear
and the tektro mini v brake in front. Btw, the tektro mini v brake works
GREAT (no chatter or shuttering that I got with the front Suntor xc pro) and
for $20, its a bargain!

I believe Curtlo, Iglehart and several other builders will also build a
frame  with this system. Of course, none of these builders are Grant
designed, but it is available. Good Luck!