The first year I randonneured I used a Carradice Barley bag to hold my
gear and attached to cue sheet to a clip on my handlebars. This was
okay but not idea. Since then, 3yrs, I've been using a Berthoud front
bag, the big one as I ride a 63cm Hilsen. I used it mounted on a
Mark's Rack with a Berthoud decauler and it seemed to work well
enough. I tried it out on my Rambouillet with Ruffy Tuffys and didn't
really like the handling, it seemed to want to dive into corners more.
I'm sure I could have gotten used to it. This year, right before my
600k I took deliver of a custom low-trail rando bike with custom rack
and it's a huge improvement on handling. I love that set-up.

As for the front bag... like others have said, it makes accessing your
gear so much easier while riding. I usually keep my camera in the
small pocket on the right side. This allows for easy access to my
camera while riding. But probably what I like best about my front bag
is being able to clearly view the cue sheet when doing a brevet. It's
just so much easier to read. I should add that it's important to have
a properly sized front bag. I use the tallest Berthoud bike because my
bikes are big. With a shorter bag it just doesn't look right to me but
it's also harder to read the cue sheet.

--mike