I think the effectiveness of bicycle registration depends greatly on
where you live and the level of enforcement and follow-up your local
police are committed to. In Portland, I tend to lock up my bike with
both a U-lock and cables and advise everyone else to do the same,
because the police are simply too understaffed to deal with it very
well. The nicer the bike, the heavier the lock. No lock is as
expensive as a new bicycle. (Especially a Rivvy or similarly nice
bike.)

The double-edged sword of bicycle registration is, of course, that
someday folks may clamor for bicycle rider registration and licensure.
Licensure of riders will probably lead to a requirement for bike rider
insurance; and, well, there goes the neighborhood. It's too slippery a
slope for my taste. So I'd rather lay low, slip under the radar, take
personal responsibility for my bike and go sort of overboard on
protection.