I heard many stories, even from people working for bike shops, about the
difficulty... well, I kind of assumed they meant "tedium"... of mounting
metal fenders. I always suspected that it wouldn't be *too* tedious compared
to putting on SKS chromoplastic ones, which I had done several different
times on a few different bikes. But I knew it was going to be trouble to get
them right. The universal theme of "trouble" that ran through every story
about mounting metal fenders literally kept me from pursuing the notion for
months.

Then came the sale. They fenders I had already thought were pretty much what
I wanted went on sale for less than half of their already decent normal
price. So I got them. I mounted them. I could either use an L-bracket or a
daruma on the front. I chose the L-bracket. I didn't have a theaded hole
under the rear brake bridge, so I used an L-bracket-with-fender-clip
arrangement in the back. I had to drill a hole so that I could attach the
front fender to the underside of my rack. I had to find spacers for both
there and the space between the kickstand-plate and the rear fender. I had
to drill two holes for my fender-mounted light. All the other holes were
pre-drilled.

I found the fenders were only marginally harder to put on than the SKS
chromoplastics. A guy who worked at a bike shop who saw a picture of my bike
right after I put them on said "You got the fender line just right!". He was
actually impressed.

I thought... "I am invincible!"

Of course, that's what a guy said in some Bond movie shortly before he was
frozen by a flood of liquid nitrogen or something.

So very quickly, and ever since then, I have considered myself *extremely*lucky
to have needed no trips to any store, no more ordering, and no waiting
to be able to actually use my new fenders the same day I took off the old
ones. And I also quickly acquired two more sets of those particular fenders,
for I knew that they'd wear out eventually (perhaps soon, since I *must*have
done something wrong in installing them!) and/or that I might want them
for a second bike at some point. I became so certain that I dodged a deadly
bullet by using those particular fenders on that particular frame on that
particular day that, when the time came to decide what kind of bike to get
as bike #2, I actually considered those fenders as a (small) factor in favor
of getting a second frame identical to the one I already have.

You'll have to take my word for it that it wasn't a particularly important
factor. Because I am in fact getting a second frame identical to the one I
already have. And that I am much less worried about installing the fenders
as a result. Though trust me, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not
*that*lucky. Fender-mounting is really tedious!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean