The bagmatching blues are inevitable when you're dealing with small
production runs of fabric, leather, finishes...and those are at the
heart of all of our bags. The grey grid fabric is made for truck
tarpalins, and truckers don't care. They're just looking forward to
the weekends. The same fabric happens to be super for our bike bags,
and the maker makes a few runs of it a year---for high volume truck
tarp use. I don't want to be the guy who cries out for a certain
visibility-of-grid, or insists on them shipping the new stuff back at
their expense (the Scots would tell me, in thick brogue, "go to bloody
he**!"), and then wreck what started slow but has become a decent
business relationship.

I remember a batch of Carradice bags we got many years ago. That
fabric stunk to high heaven. Carradice admitted it smelled "a bit
dodgy"---a term I'd never heard before, but I can't even see a Dodge
these days without thinking about it. They suggested we air them out
for a day before filling orders. Tried that, but the stuff was not
going away. Maybe it took a few weeks.

A less visi-grid is less of a problem than that. BUT I getcha and
agree. Same boat, same page, and I imagine I'll get used to it, too.
It lacks the classy gangster-Yankee look we all recognize, but hey,
the new leather looks kinda nice, don't it?

Ultimately the grey grid fab will likely go away. It comes too narrow
(36-in, compared to 60-in), and there's more waste.

One thing, though. I bet the new look is the result of a thicker, even
more superbly waterprooooooof coating. Could be that over time, those
fine white lines will resurface.