As a point of contrast, I had mentioned my good luck with the JB green on a short tour, but I forgot to mention one other fact. My JB's were new out of the bag, and that ride was the first time they were used.

-Jim W.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
Sent: Sep 21, 2011 2:10 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBW] JB Green not really up to loaded touring

I really like the JB Green tires for the snappy/cushy/grippy ride quality, and have been enjoying them for awhile on my non-Rivendell sport-touring bicycle. Last week, I did a partial tour (moderately loaded - front Ortlieb panniers and a big Carradice saddlebag, etc) of the Oregon Coast, then back to Portland for a couple days of exploring that fine city. During a four-day period, I had two front flats and two rear flats. Two of the four flats were caused by tiny thorns, one by some unidentified metal object, and one I never did diagnose. My second flat on the front tire resulted in me riding on it for a 100 feet or so until I could get the bike stopped, and that left the tire cut and shredded beyond the point that I'd consider using the tire again. Luckily I packed a spare tire (700x32 Pasela TG) that got me through the rest of the trip.

I had envisioned a light-zippy bike for moderately loaded touring, but after this experiment I must recommend a tougher tire than JB Green. I still plan to use this fantastic tire for light-loaded applications on decent roads. For moderately loaded applications, I think I'll use Marathon Racers or Supremes next time.

My write-up of the tour (sans flat tire talk) is here.
http://hiawathacyclery.blogspot.com/2011/09/oregon-coast-tour.html