Robert,

Maybe you're overthinking this, but bungees are fine for securing to
the rack.  It sounds like the problem you have is that you cannot put
something on top of the rear rack and attach the saddle sack.
Depending on the sleeping pad (or is it the tent) you can mount that
on the under-side of the top-tube or bungee it crosswise on top of the
basket.  There are just a lot of options, you just need to play around
with it, there is no right way other then making sure it's secure
while riding.   If you have the clearance up front you could use the
saddle-sack as a handle-bar bag.

Here's a picture of my last S240, i have panniers, but what i have in
the panniers you could carry in your saddle-sack and front basket.
What i have in the long roll on top of the rear-rack is the sleeping
pad, inside the sleeping pad are the poles to my tent.

In the panniers i have, sleeping bag, tent (2 person, no rainfly on
this trip), tent foot-print, 2-20oz bottles of water, change of
clothes (camp pants, lite jacket, change of socks, shirt), bike repair
kit (multi-tool, pump, tubes, patches), food (sandwiches, trailmix,
etc).

hard to see is on the front rack i have trunk-sack for food, wallet,
keys, things i need to get at easily.  i could easily get by without
this but it's more convienent.

http://flic.kr/p/ajaN9q