You should be fine. I have an 83 PBH and ride a 56cm Sam with 40mm
slicks or 42mm semi knobbies, even on rough single track. Plenty of
crashes and dismounts, and no damage to the tender bits (yet).

The advantage is that I can get drop bars high enough to mount a stem-
mounted child seat (Bobike mini).

Cheers,

Gernot "not a crotch worrier" Huber