Here in Northern Calif. the many secondary/tertiary roads that make for great
bicycle routes are poorly maintained. Until the Tour of Calif. started using
Tunitas Creek Road for one of the stages, the surface reminded me of a bombing
range. Now many of the craters have been filled. I read the Sonoma County is
considering letting some roads 'revert' to gravel.

Funds to maintain roads here are diminishing and that seems unlikely to improve
any time soon.

I'm stocking up on fat/er tires. They work great for the 'roads of the future'.

-JimD