Peter, I live in a town in VT with virtually no paved roads so a lot of my
riding is on dirt roads and nearly all of them, at the least, begin and end
with a couple of miles of dirt roads.  Tire size capacity is certainly a big
variable in choosing a frame.  I ride  35's (actual) when I will be on dirt
roads most of the time and really like the combination of comfort, grip, and
 responsiveness.  I don't think you necessarily need anything bigger than
that, but there are times, like winter, when having the ability to put a big
studded tire on is nice.

If I were in your place, and could afford it, I would leap at the Atlantis.
 You can run Jack Browns for cruising around the many great paved roads in
the Adirondack Park and go bigger if you want to ride dirt.  Upstate NY
soils are noticeably sandier than VT, so bigger may be a help.

Also, Don't let brake choice drive the decision.  I rode side pull almost
exclusively for 25 years but have gradually switched over entirely to cantis
and center pulls because they work so well and give better fender clearance.
 If you spring for the Atlantis, also go for a nice set of Paul's Neo
Retros. They are very easy to set up, at least the second time you do it,
and will last as long as the bike.

Sometimes life doesn't present us with any good choices, this is one of
those times when there isn't a bad choice!

Enjoy,
michael