This may be a little OT given that it's related to wood + shellac, but
the wood are bike grips.  I'm in the process of refinishing some dia-
compe wood grips.  This is the first time i have used shellac, and
definately the first time with wood.  I'm using a can of premixed
amber zinnser from the hardware store.

I sanded down the grips and restained last week and then over the
weekend applied a few coats.  Overall i'm pretty happy with it but
this being my first time i know i made a few mistakes.  The biggest
being i think i applied it on too thick, so it's not completly smooth,
there are runs etc.  Is there an easy way to smooth these out?  Could
i go over them with denat-alcohol and smooth it out?  Fine grit
sandpaper?

Functionally i think they are fine and i could live with them, but if
there is a trick to polish them out i'd like to give it a try.

Here's a link to the work in progress, http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwLUQVY

i also did my first kickstand too, looks good, but not sure if i could
use a shellac'd bar full time on the handlebars, maybe for the
secondary areas...