On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a used abused S83 seatpost.  It's totally bomber, but I'd like to
> pretty it up if possible.  What's the conventional wisdom for polishing up
> seatpost scratches?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/6330310531/in/photostream
>
> Steel wool?  I'd be fine with consistent satin.

Hi William. I have been doing some web surfing to learn about cleaning up
some old bike parts that requires more than a toothbrush and de-greaser.
This post uses a scratched up seatpost as an example and seems pretty
appropriate to your interest, though I can't vouch for the method:

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2009/10/tutorial_polishing_bicycle_par.php

Good luck!
Lee
SF, CA