There's no one answer.  You say neglected, but what's actually wrong
with the saddle?  Dry, cracked, misshapen?  Over-applying goop is
probably not the best thing,  Bill G.'s advice is good, but I have had
a sagging B17 that was revived with a week-long soak in water, some
massage to restore the shape, and a good drying out before riding.
The soaking appeared to have driven out some excess Proofide from the
underside which I scrubbed off.  I have not reapplied anything to the
bottom, just enough Proofide on top to keep a nice polish.  Many miles
since then and the saddle is in much better shape than it was before
the soak.

Bill