Took a nice ride across the bridge and up to Hawk Hill, planning to
get home in time to catch the 49er game at the end of 1st quarter. I
didn't make it.  My rear rim blew out as I took a slow (translated:
continuous braking down 18% descent to hold speed at 10(-)mph.)
descent down back side of Conzumel Road toward the lighthouse.

Because I crashed on the same section of this road in January and
broke my collarbone, I have been taking this descent extra carefully
and slowly now that I am back on the bike.  Just as I was in the last
tight turn before the road levels out to a reasonable grade, my rear
tire popped and blew out.

I managed to stay upright and bring it to a stop against a bank.
There, I discovered that my rear rim blew out and a 18" section of the
sidewall bead just blew out and tangled up in the spokes and
chainstay. The wheel rims are Araya. Just prior to leaving home, I
pumped up the rear Pasella x32 to 85 pounds. The wheels are about
three years old. No prior wheel trauma.

Could this failure resulted from the long braking over-heating the rim
and the pressure blowing it out? Seems strange, but, can that happen?

Here are the pix:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8581354@N03/sets/72157628281638979/with/6455986331/