A couple of us speculators suggested the stays were intended to
counteract torsional forces in the rear triangle caused by the drive
being on one side.  Seems like as good a story as any, and they look
pretty interesting as well.  They are a bit muted with the bike built
up.  A front basket would be a nice complement to the overall look.

dougP