We(RIV) have inconsistently and always privately, but many times in
the past come to the aid of hard-luck victims.Details irrelevant and
varied with the situation, but let me understate that we've never
profited from anybody's bad luck.
It is always  done privately for exactly the reasons that Joe B.
mentioned. And the OTHER Joe B's idea was super, too. Those Joe
B's....sharp guys!

Some facts:
Another one of you has generously  privately told me he's good for $X
toward a Mannybike.Too much.. Amounts not important, but Manny is
Manny, and if you think he's cool on the forum, you should know him in
person. Almost bottom line is that Manny will be a-wheel again, and
anybody who would like to be apart of it can send parts or $15 checks
(not online, no credit cards---although it would abe easier for you,
it would complicate things on this end immensely), to
RBW
Box 5289
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

attn: Mannybike

This is not a normal solicitation for funds. Send NOTHING, and Manny
will be fine--that's a promise. But this is a special case for a
special guy, and how can a special bike not be more special when so
many nice people are a part of it? So we will accept checks (made out
to Rivendell) until January 2. Not postmarked by then, but received by
then. The parts contribution offers are good, but there's a high
likelihood that there will be duplicates, and then if Manny ever posts
pix of his bike (not unlikely), if your part didn't make it, you gunna
wonder or be bummed, or something.

Whenever stuff involves money and people and opinions and is public,
there's a chance that something will be misconstrued, or
somehow...come off wrong. I hope this goes smoothly. Getcher pens and
checks and envelopes and stamps ready.

B,

Grant