Yep, I know the feeling well, and I'm relatively new to this game. I was lucky
enough to discover Grant and Bridgestone early on and to find shops like Jim
Thill's Hiawatha Cyclery along the way.

Sadly, most cyclists don't actually know much about bikes. So picking up a bike
and checking its weight is a bit like looking at a used car and (literally)
kicking its tires. And the bike industry uses weight to sell bikes the same way
that the car industry uses horsepower...it's a number that can be thrown around
despite having almost nothing to do with utility or enjoyment. It's dismaying
to eavesdrop on buyers at a bike shop or listen to guys on a sales floor talk
about the Trekdaleized  bikes on offer.

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, where folks maybe know too much,
are the bike collectors with never-ridden wall-hangers who want to talk about
thinned lugs and tubing diameters and patina. Gee, those Delta brakes don't
work very well, but they sure are pretty!

I'm just glad I have room in my garage for several bikes. I have a CF
weight-weenie bike that is fast and fun on group rides, I have a steel bike
with fenders and lights and bags, I have a full-squish mountain bike for
trails, I have a rigid MB for other days. I even have a snowbike for winter
trail riding. Different tools for different days.

I try to keep a sense of humor about the weirdness of cycling clans, but
sometimes it's hard.

Brian
Park City, UT