I was indoctrinated at a very young age not to trespass onto private
property. My dad had many stories from his youth (he was raised on a farm
near Tulare, CA) of shooting trespassers with rock salt. No questions
asked. It was family policy... you see someone you don't know on the farm,
you shoot them with the rock salt. It was a relatively small family farm
though, not a ranch with hills, trees, and  a road system. It was more a
situation that the trespassers were there to steal crops. I can't imagine
cow theft by bicycle is very common.

All that said... I have a friend (no, it's not me) who loves to fish
lowland ponds (I do like to fish but I prefer high mtn lakes). Many of the
ponds in Western WA are on private land. He regularly trespasses to fish
these ponds. He's been caught several times. His default is to play dumb.
He's charming in a nerdy sort of way that you might not expect from a
trespassing fisherman. It works for him.

If I do find myself in a trespassing situation, I'm already committed to
the "play dumb" strategy.

--Smitty