While most of the RBW crowd seem to prefer bar ends and friction
shifting, there is at least a significant number - myself included -
who like brifters and indexed.  I have Shimano STI on one bike, Campy
Ergo on another, both are 9 speed, I like them both. I may switch to
bar ends just for a change when those eventually wear out, but as
others have opined, the central thing about RBW philosophy is to do
what you like and to make your bikes uniquely yours.  You'll seldom
see two RBW bikes exactly alike, at least on this list, and much of
the fun is in seeing how differently the bikes are set up.  I hope the
new impetus toward coordinated Build Kits does not change that much.
Have at it, and as Grant has advised, be sure to do something to make
it unlike any other bike in the velo universe.