I second Doug's suggestion. I use a big Wald on a Nitto mini front for
commuting and grocery-shopping, and have had over 30lbs in there on a
Sam Hillborne. Not ideal, but it works. A Bombadil-riding buddy of
mine had a pass and stow and sold it. I think front racks that attach
at the drop outs tend to stiffen the fork too much. I'd go with the
basket, or maybe a Platrack if you can find one. The great thing about
the basket plus bungie net is that you can throw pretty much anything
in there, from loose groceries to a messenger bag when you get too
hot. The only thing it doesn't work for well is yoga mats, which are
too long. :)

Gernot