Hmmm, It's all kind of relative to ones weight and the load carried.
I'm riding the 700x47 Schwalbes now at around 60 psi probably only 50
psi today and I currently weigh 257. When I get to hills I gear
down....flats find me in the 44x18 or 44x16.....not sure what that is
right now. Not sure of my speed either. I took my speedo off a couple
years ago. I do use a wrist watch and I seem to get where I want to in
about the same amount of time. In the spring and summer I run 700x40
Supremes and they feel a little faster on the hills. I find I can use
a cog higher gear with them. My Simple One sports lighter rims and T-
Serve 700x35's and its definitely easier to pedal up hills until I run
out of "gearing" (51" and 66") I sure do feel (my) added weight when I
approach hills but I don't worry about wheel weight that much. I end
up  breaking lightweight rims and popping skinny tires plus my bike
takes a beating if I ride them too much. For me there is a certain
confidence that I get when using parts that are a little overbuilt. Go
wide with pride !
Oh yea ! I always wanted a bike with disc brakes living in rainy
Washington State but I haven't thought of the drawbacks now that you
mention bent discs.