While I'm not specifically familiar with the FoCo area, the roads in
CO are great to ride on.  You might climb up the hills to the west of
the city, or you could head south and then east, climbing to Carter
Lake.  Pawnee Grasslands, to the north, might also be a possibility
for some mixed surface riding (gravel and pavement).