Wearing some kind of UV blocking lens when spending long hours in bright
sun is a good idea.

These days, I wear prescription progressive bifocals (so I can see clearly
in the distance and still read a map, phone, computer, etc.), with
photochromic lenses (darken in the sun).

One odd thing with the photochromic lenses - if I wear them with a visor
(say a Walz cap under my helmet), the part of the lens that gets shaded by
the visor does not darken as much as the portion that's not shaded.  That
can be kind of disconcerting.  OTOH, a fully tinted lens is no good for me
in dim light, like indoors or when the sun is down, and I don't want to
carry a second pair of glasses.

When I used contact lenses, I wore $10 safety glasses from Lowe's over
them.  They block UV, and were so cheap I wasn't worried about scratching
or losing a pair.

As for smearing, some lenses sit so close that my eyelashes touch the
lenses.  That will quickly leave a smudge in the worst possible spot, so I
have to select glasses that don't allow that contact.  If they slip down
your nose, use a Croakie to keep them in place.

Bill