Ah, bike fit.  This is a topic close to my heart.  I've been struggling
with bike fit for a number of years now, but have recently discovered
somethings that have really improved my comfort.

First off, in addition to reading Rivendell recommendations, I'd also start
by reading Keith Bontrager's article "The Myth of KOPS," that is hosted on
Sheldon's site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

In addition to critiquing the old "Knee Over Pedal Spindle" philosophy, he
lays out his kind of general philosophy of bike fitting.  It doesn't
exactly line up with the goals of, say, a Rivendell fit--Bontrager is
concerned with sprinting power, for example--but his insights, esp. with
regards to how saddle setback affects your center of gravity and weight
distribution between your hands and seat, were particularly informative for
me.

Basically, in my mind, there are two key elements to fit, which often get
conflated.  First is overall front-rear balance and weight distribution,
which is mainly determined by saddle position.  Second, there is reach and
stretching comfort, which is determined by the distance between saddle and
bars.  This isn't to say that the two aren't related--the more stretched
out you are, the farther forward you are pulling your CoG.  But I think
sometimes we think that simply raising you bars and bringing them closer
will take weight off your hands without ever thinking about where the
saddle is; if you saddle is too far forward, you will be weighting your
hands even with the bars above saddle height.  On the other hand, it is
possible to have a very "stretched out" position and still ride with little
weight on your hands, providing you have enough setback to counterbalance
your forward reach, and have the flexibility to ride in such a position.

So, first, I would think about how you're balanced with on the bike WRT to
saddle setback.  Are you compensating for poor balance by tensing your back
muscles?  I've recently discovered that anatomically, i need much more
setback than "normal" seat tube angles and seatposts can provide.  Then,
once having set seat position correctly for balance, if you still feel
stretched out, i would incrementally reduce reach (either by raising the
bars or shortening the stem) reduce reach until you are comfortable.