I purchased the SimpleOne after hearing my wife rave for years about
the ride of her Quickbeam. She was right. The SimpleOne is
tremendously fun to ride and has that Riv feel that I like so much in
my Atlantis and Rambouillet.

It replaced a Kogswell singlespeed that was half the cost, and was
fine, but not the blast that I get from the SimpleOne.

I can see how it would be hard to sell to someone who is not an
enthusiast. We talk regularly to people who are looking to buy a new
bike and they are all fascinated with Surly right now, but even those
seem pricey to them. They have to get past the bargain basement stuff
on Craigslist, then move past Ebay, then Linus, etc. before they even
consider a Surly. You'd be amazed at how many Linus singlespeeds are
being pedaled around D.C. right now.

There seems to be the prevailing attitude that singlespeeds should be
cheap. Maybe it's the notion that the smart person buys a cheap beater
frame and converts it to single speed or fixed gear, and that you're
crazy to pay Rivendell prices for a new frameset. I don't even try to
convince anyone of the value of the SimpleOne anymore -- it  is way,
way out of most peoples' price expectations. The tough economy is
another factor that I think has contributed to the popularity of Linus
and Surly, though they've raised prices as well.

All said, I have to hand it to Grant to even bring the QB and SO to
market. It's a brave act and one I'm grateful for.

Ed Felker
Washington, DC