Joes' advice is great. It's simple stuff. It's like learning to ride a
bike....once you figure it out (and that's not to tough) you just get
better. I prefer it but it's what I learned on and still think it's as
good as it gets. You have to  dance on the pedals so to speak. In
fact, given my choice of any type of shifting I could put on a bike,
it would be downtube or bar con friction. Get to know it and I think
you'll enjoy it.