On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 22:45 -0700, Ablejack wrote:
> I guess I simply prefer a more egalitarian theme for a ride. Inclusive
> rather than exclusive that's all.

We were indeed inclusive.  Last year there were in addition to several
Rivendells, a Trek and a Gunnar.  This year in addition to several
Rivendells there were a Surly and a Kogswell.  Any "exclusivity" is
strictly in your perception, not in reality.

> I just didn't like the idea that on a "Riv Rally" someone might feel
> having a fancy bike is necessary to come along with the group.

The rally was open to all on this list, and no requirements for bikes
have ever been posted, except for the obvious needs that if you're going
to be riding on gravel you need a bike suitable for doing so, and if
you're going to be carrying gear for an overnight you need a bike
suitable for that.

> I suppose "pretension" was the wrong way to put it. Truly sorry.
> /Still, gorgeous bikes all, and perhaps the best trail in America.

There is indeed a whole lot to like about the Great Allegheny Passage,
and especially about the towns it goes through.   The Greenbrier River
Trail in West Virginia is similar, although not nearly as long and the
top 1/2 inch of surface is a lot looser, but there are few towns along
the way; and the one I stayed at (famous for the "Roadkill Cookoff") is
sorely deficient in terms of food compared to the likes of Confluence,
which has both top notch pizza and the justly famous Three Sisters.