I'm always surprised by posts from people that have difficulty setting up
Pau's brakes or  have difficulty with modulation.

I too had the Shimano 550s and found that they were very difficult to set
up with Shimano levers (better with Cane Creek) and even with salmon pads
offered mediocre braking.  I switched to Neos.  Set up, the first time was
tricky, because it was so different from any other brake I had ever used. (
A youtube video would be helpful.) I put them on my Ebisu All Purpose and
they have been terrific.  I now can move them and set them up very quickly,
get great power, great modulation, no shutter or squeal.  Since then I have
put Racers on the tandem and Racer Ms on the Rambouillet.  If I were having
the kind of problems so people report, I would contact Paul's; I'm sure
they would want to help

Michael