On my bag, ended up removing the stiffener to get it to lie down on the
Nitto R-14 top rack.  Without a rack, it can sag slightly.  Never really
bothered me, though.  More annoying is how the main buckle seems to bounce
against everything and continually make noise. Especially any Nitto rack or
fenders.  To my mind, not as bad as a squeaky chain, but can get irritating
right quick.

But, yeah, a stiff piece of plastic should unsag things.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN