Grease the taper and use a torque wrench. Note that Phil and Topline
(to name just two off the top of my head) both recommend/ed a bit o'
grease.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Andy Smitty Schmidt <54ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> grease the taper?
>  YES. http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/to-grease-or-not-to-grease/
>

> On Monday, May 21, 2012 1:00:32 PM UTC-7, Zack wrote:
>>
>> Ok, closing the loop -
>>
>> I rode it over to the LBS, as I wasn't getting anywhere.
>>
>> Sugino XD doesn't have one of the bolts inside, just FYI.  Has the dust
>> cap cover thing, but that's it.
>>
>> Took some penetrating oil and a few minutes of using a crank pulling tool
>> that allowed for a long wrench handle.  Must have been on really tight, it
>> was seized up a little bit.  I don't think there is any way I could have
>> gotten it off w/ the little park tool, and neither did LBS mechanic dude.
>>
>> So it's off now.  A follow-up question -
>>
>> do you guys grease the threads of the bottom bracket taper thing?  LBS guy
>> said never to do that, could be why it was on so tight.  wondering what the
>> riv approach is with this one.  i haven't messed with the crank until now
>> (it came installed by riv when I got the Sam).
>>
>> any tips for putting the crank back on?

> For more options, visit this group at

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Rainer Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory