Gotta go back... further... mid-80s... First gen Shimano m700 Deore
(Deerhead).  These are wonderful friction derailleurs that will shift
like butter and last forever.  Just look at this one... it's over 25
years old.
http://tinyurl.com/79vo4md

Or (from the same era), one of these.... Suntour XC... overbuilt,
bombproof, somewhat klunky, but beautiful and super reliable.
http://tinyurl.com/7sloy5o

I can't decide which one I like better... I have them both and love
em.
(Oh, and then of course there's the legendary Shimano XTR m951 with
the built-in rollamajig... It ain't silver, but there ain't too many
derailleurs out there better than this).
http://tinyurl.com/7zouyp5  (BTW this dude's out of his tree...$125...
that's BOO...  I've picked these up for around $40)

BB