A 105 can usually handle a 30-tooth cog, but 32 is pushing your luck. Like
others have said, you need to put a proper MTB derailer on to eliminate the
105 as the culprit, then see if there's still a shifting problem. And yes,
9-speed derailers are fine friction-shifting 8-speed cassetes.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.