Ah, the late '80s and early '90s. I rode a loop in Arkansas fairly often that
went from Ponca on the Buffalo River to Jasper, then Just short of Harrison and
back to Ponca? Logged here by other start/stop riders, I always began in Ponca
with Mt. Sherman in my face, climbing the switchbacks into the morning sun. The
real excitement came hours later with the descent back into Ponca. I learned
the road and grew confident of the ride down off the Ozark plateau.  Even toyed
with varying my speed by riding on the paint stripe and back to the Tarmac. 55
possible? On my old red RB-1 (Ultegra 36h hubs I laced to Open 4 CDs With
Michelin 28s) I rode this circuit everal times a year. I built my bike and
trusted it. No marks, no fouls.

South Colorado, 2001, riding my Rambouillet along the Trans Am Western Express,
ultra light, my back tire lost its air just slower than a blow out on a chip
topped road with some winding downhill eases and my options grew fewer as the
PSI fell and the next curve came. I finally took one turns to be able to brake
in a straight line long enough on the flaccid tire and tube to get down in
speed while still on the bike. Nice idea, not what happened. I yawed widely on
the slack rear tire to the point that I was almost sideways. Speed and some
semblance of grip presented itself and I flew over the bars, cartwheeling
slowly forward, landing on the ugly road surface with my head, my left shoulder
blade and elbow.

I got up and dragged my bike out of the road so I must have been OK. I changed
my rear tube and one of my colleagues' rear tubes my shoulder slipping out of
alignment each pump stroke. It was separated, all the way

One of the others noted my visible injury and I said I was riding to the next
town (our destination anyway) and got up on my bike which faired pretty well
given the violence of my dissipation of velocity on this surface.

Speed is the engine of injury, no doubt. But it sure is a fun test of equipment
you know. Just have to keep some contingent thought available to handle the
what-ifs.