I got a copy of "Just Ride" and read it. I agree with 99% of what Grant
says.

One thing I take issue with is maximum heart rate. Not explicitly what's in
Just Ride. But more the concept of maximum heart rate as it's currently
portrayed in health and medical literature and on the web. I think the
purpose of discussing maximum heart rate in Just Ride is to get people to
listen to their bodies. This is highly desirable. But the general concept
of maximum heart rate is seriously flawed.

In general, I don't think there is any magic number (or formula) for
maximum heart rate. The only thing I think you can say is that if Joe is in
good health and reasonably fit and Jack has a history of heart and/or
circulatory trouble and is not very fit - then Jack should not push himself
as hard as Joe. That's not to say that Jack should not get his heart
pumping on a regular basis - just that he should probably limit himself to
walking (potentially including hills).

I did a thorough search of the web looking for research on maximum heart
rate. Also consulted several experts. The only research I could find was
anecdotal statistical data reporting heart rates for various groups based
on age. But drawing a line through statistical data is just a curve fit.
This is without any scientific basis to back it up.

In order to establish a scientific basis for maximum heart rate, I think
you would need to apply a stress test (bicycle, treadmill, etc.) to a
rather large population. The population would need to be pushed near the
point of failure - till an undesirable EKG pattern could be detected. At
that point, you would have a good idea of the maximum heart rate for a
given individual.

It's very likely that the point of failure/danger would be radically
different based on the health and fitness of the individual. For some
people - that point could be as low as 140 beats/minute or lower. For
others it could be 190 beats/minute or more. Also, based on the book "Born
To Run", I don't think there is any basis for saying a limit on heart rate
must trend down inversely to age.

Personally, I regularly get my heart rate well beyond the 160 beats/minute
or so recommend for a 53 year old male. Since I've been doing this all my
adult life (and my workouts seem to be growing in intensity), I'm not
worried. I'm comfortable deciding when to back off. In my opinion, you
should know your own limits - but should not let your limits be defined by
a gross yardstick. And you should carefully establish your own maximum
heart rate, and use it as a tool for your own training - but realize that
it's a personal measurement/limit.

Corwin