On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 16:21 -0400, clyde canter wrote:
> Oops, hit send too soon.  If I were looking, like you are ,I'd go for
> one the early orange ones if I had the choice.  Not that the green
> ones are inferior, but I believe (could be mistaken) that the earliest
> ones had a tad more tire clearance.  So much so that some of the "new
> at the time" Shimano dual pivot brakes in that reach had to be filed
> slightly at the bottom of the slot to get the pads low enough and out
> of the tire.  IMO a good thing if only slightly so.

I remember that situation.  "More tire clearance" is not how I'd
characterize it.

The Rambouillets were designed to maximize tire clearance with the
then-newly released long reach Shimano dual pivots by specifying the
location for the brake bridge in back that would have the pads exactly
at the bottom of the slot.  That's great if everything is perfectly
located, and acceptable if the bridge is 1 or 2 mm low; not so great if
the bridge is 1 or 2 mm high, which was the case with I believe one
batch of frames and one size of frame.  Hence the need to file the slot.

There might be 2 reasons to prefer an early orange frame over all
others: the lugs were fancier early on and became simpler to make
production easier; and of course, the orange color.  I had a very early
orange one.  The orange was very pretty.  It was also impossible to
touch up scratches so that it matched.