Waterford numbering info can be found here:
http://waterfordbikes.com/w/support/serial-numbers
It addresses pre-1995 in the top portion of that page; at the bottom, the
key portion for post-94 bikes ( and should be applicable to Rivs built by
Waterford) is this part:

   - *Month Code: *This one letter code corresponds to the month with
   A=January, B=February and so on. Because I is not used, September=J and
   December=M.
   - *Year Code:* This two digit code is the last two digits of the year –
   96 is 1996.
   - *Sequence Number:* This three digit number represents the nth frame
   and/or fork scheduled during the month.

Though a gap may appear between the letter and the rest of the serial
number (a result of Waterford’s serial numbering machine, the serial number
is recorded in our records without spaces. A number that shows up as “D
08123″ is recorded as “D08123″.

Now, for a non-Waterford bike to use as an example, the Rambouillet, built
by Toyo for Riv, used an RB prefix followed by consecutive numbering (at
least through 1200... )   More can be found here:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/rambouillet/