From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com [rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of PATRICK MOORE [bertin...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:50 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch
Subject: [RBW] And now for something completely different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P86C-1x3o

Conservative loonie (not a loonie because he is conservative; he's
just a loonie and he is conservative), long-time dedicated
transportation cyclist, and brother-to-Christopher, Peter Hitchens,
writing for the raggish Mail, sez:

"If you believe that Olympic glory makes a nation great, just remember the USSR
This is Peter Hitchens’ Mail on Sunday column

It seems that you can now be arrested for not smiling when an Olympic
event is taking place. So I had better watch out in case I am wrestled
to the ground and carted off by some Compulsory Happiness snatch
squad.

For I have not been smiling nearly enough. I have watched two or three
races on the TV.

There is still something thrilling in a raw contest among men and
women stretched to the uttermost, in which there can be only one
winner.

It is refreshingly unlike modern Britain, where the very idea that
there must be losers for there to be winners is banned from most
schools, and denied by our political leaders.

But I can summon up little interest in all the other alleged sports,
dancing animals, underwater basketball, bikini display or whatever
they are. As a lifelong cyclist, I find myself startlingly unmoved by
Olympic cycling.

It is too technological, too dependent on machines and airlocks.

The riders look like aliens in their special outfits.

But good luck to you if you have enjoyed it. I am happy for you,
provided I’m allowed to differ from you. The trouble is, I’m not sure
I am.

>From the moment these Olympics started, there’s been a strong smell of
New Labour totalitarianism.

Those who have dared to say they didn’t like the Opening Ceremony have
been lectured and made to feel isolated.

The BBC even transmitted an astonishing personal attack on me in which
I was misrepresented (they have since apologised, an event as rare as
a Lottery win, but alas the apology is nothing like good enough).

Now someone called Armando Iannucci, who is famous for something, has
called me a ‘scribbling cynic’ and proclaimed that I and those like me
‘took a hell of a beating’.

I think this is because the British team has won a lot of medals, and
the Opening Ceremony has been much praised.

I can’t see why an Olympic opening ceremony should have any politics
in it at all. But remember how deeply the Blairite Cosa Nostra was
involved in securing the Olympics for London at all costs, and how
their heirs, the Cameron Tories, have taken up the baton.

Why? I think the pitiful failure of the Millennium Dome rankled badly
with the Blairites. They were and are revolutionaries. They had long
hoped to use the new century to proclaim Year One of their nasty,
tatty, multicultural, anti-Christian New Britain.

Put simply, I think they wanted to undo the magic of the 1953
Coronation Ceremony, with modernist incantations and a censored,
reordered version of our national history.

The Olympics were a second chance, in which a normal love of sport
could be converted into an anti-conservative wave of feeling.

And behold, they have done it. I don’t begrudge the winners their joy,
or the spectators their delight.

But do Olympic medals make a nation great? Was the USSR a great nation
because it won lots of them? Is Jamaica a stable and happy society
because Usain Bolt is a great athlete?
Would you rather have Australia’s thriving economy, or Britain’s medal
tally? And by the way, have Prince William and his wife forgotten that
they are future monarchs of Australia?

In a free country, there is no obvious connection between sporting
achievement and national standing. The truth is that we have used
scarce money to hire coaches, buy equipment and subsidise athletes in
sports where competition is weak.

When all this is over, we will still be broke, disorderly, badly
educated and gravely troubled by the greatest wave of mass immigration
in our history. I cannot see why I should smile about that."

--
"When in Rome, do as they done in Milledgeville."

Flannery O'Connor